The UN Climate Change Conference COP 25 (2 – 13 December 2019) will take place under the Presidency of the Government of Chile and will be held with logistical support from the Government of Spain at the IFEMA – Feria de Madrid. The Oceans Action Day (#OceansActionDay@COP25) will be held over two days during COP25, Friday, December 6 and Saturday, December 7 2019. As in previous Oceans Days and Oceans Action Days organized at the UNFCCC COPs, Oceans Action Day at COP25 will focus on promoting the oceans agenda at the COP and on developing cooperation and coherence in policies and programs at multiple levels in order to implement a comprehensive strategy on oceans and climate, both within and outside the UNFCCC process.
The main organizers of Oceans Action Day at COP25 are the Global Ocean Forum; Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO; Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; Ocean Policy Research Institute of the Sasakawa Peace Foundation, Japan; Oceano Azul Foundation, Portugal; Plymouth Marine Laboratory, UK; Future Ocean Alliance; International Union for Conservation of Nature; Because the Ocean; Ocean and Climate Platform; The Carbon Institute; Canada Coastal Zone Association; International Alliance to Combat Ocean Acidification; International Organization for Migration; with collaboration from the Governments of Chile, European Union, Fiji, Indonesia, Japan, Sweden, and United Kingdom.
Oceans Action Day and Related Events will be held over two days during COP25:
Friday, 6 December 2019
Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action Oceans and Coastal Zones Action Event (15:00 to 18:00, Hall 4: GCA/PRC2/Side Event Room 6)
UK Pavilion Events
- Marine Protected Areas and Climate Change—Marine Protected Areas as Tools for Adaptive Marine Resource Management in the Face of a Changing Climate (11:20 to 12:30)
- Ocean Acidification: Managing and Adapting to the Challenge of Ocean Acidification: Strategies from around the World (13:00 to 14:15)
- Connection Oceans, Science, Society and the UNFCCC–Raising Ambition on Climate Mitigation and Adaptation (15:00 to 16:30, Room 4, Blue Zone)
Saturday, 7 December 2019
Oceans Action Day (13:00 to 20:30): High-level Panels on:
- The Oceans and Climate Nexus within the UNFCCC and Beyond (13:00 to 14:30, Japanese Pavilion)
- Incorporating Ocean-Related Options in Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) (14:45 to 15:45, Japanese Pavilion)
- Ocean Science to Action for Adaptation and Displacement Solutions (16:00 to 17:00, Japanese Pavilion)
- Galvanizing Support for Oceans and Climate Action (17:15 to 18:30, Chile Pavilion)
- Oceans Action Day at COP25 Reception (19:00 to 20:30, UK Pavilion)
EU Ocean Day (10:00 to 16:45, EU Pavilion)
- Opening Session (10:00 to 11:15)
- Oceans and Climate: From Science to Policy (11:15 to 12:45)
- Networking Lunch (12:45 to 13:30)
- EU Copernicus Marine and Climate Services Driving Solutions (13:30 to 15:00)
- Adaptation and Mitigation Strategies in Changing Oceans (15:00 to 16:30)
- Conclusion (16:30 to 16:45)
UK Pavilion Event
- Blue Carbon—Role of Natural Systems to mitigate Climate Change (10:00 to 11:00)
Please see the Oceans Action Day at COP25 ENB Summary Report here.
Please see the Oceans Action Day at COP25 Official Postcard here.
Please see the Oceans Action Day at COP25 Program here.
The Roadmap to Ocean and Climate Action (ROCA) Initiative is pleased to share the third annual Report on Assessing Progress on Ocean and Climate Action 2019 which provides a summary of major developments in ocean and climate science, policy, and action in 2019. The report has been written in collaboration with 47 contributing authors writing in their own personal capacities. The report reviews major developments taking place on each of the following major themes: New Scientific Findings on Oceans and Climate, Central role of Nationally Determined Contributions, Mitigation, Adaptation, Low Carbon Blue Economy, Population Displacement, Financing, and Capacity Development. See the ROCA Report, Assessing Progress on Ocean and Climate Action: 2019
For more information about the Marrakech Partnership for Global Climate Action Oceans and Coastal Zones Action Event, please contact: Ms. Isabel Torres de Noronha, Future Ocean Alliance (email@example.com); Ms. Biliana Cicin-Sain, Global Ocean Forum (firstname.lastname@example.org); Ms. Kirsten Isensee, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, UNESCO (email@example.com)
For more information about Oceans Action Day Events, please contact: Ms. Miriam Balgos, Global Ocean Forum (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For more information about EU Ocean Day, please contact: Ms. Alessandra.Lamotte (Alessandra.LAMOTTE@ec.europa.eu)
For more information about the UK Pavilion Oceans Action Day reception, please contact: Ms. Daniela Sandoval, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Daniela.Sandoval@fco.gov.uk)
For more information about Ocean-oriented UNFCCC events, please contact: Ms. Joanna Post, UNFCCC (JPost@unfccc.int)
For more information about the ROCA Progress Report 2019, please contact: Dr. Biliana Cicin-Sain (email@example.com), Ms. Alexis Maxwell (firstname.lastname@example.org)